ElsewhereNews

Radio Stations Ban Michael Jackson's Songs

Spread the love

HBO’s “Leaving Neverland” documentary continues to dominate headlines. This time it’s because of the ripple effect it’s having on Michael Jackson’s music.
According to Complex, radio stations are starting to ban the late King of Pop‘s hits around the world after the broadcast earlier this week. In the two-part documentary, two men — James Safechuck and choreographer Wade Robson — allege Jackson molested them when they were children.

The film was followed up by interviews with the accusers conducted by Oprah Winfrey. The iconic talk show host reportedly said the documentary, directed by Dan Reed, “allows us to see this societal corruption.”
In the wake of the allegations, three Montreal radio stations pulled Jackson’s music on Monday (March 4). Christine Dicaire, a spokesperson for the station’s parent company, Cogeco Media, said the decision was made out of demand from listeners.
We are attentive to listeners’ comments, and last night’s documentary created reactions,” she told local news.

Two popular radio stations in New Zealand also pulled the plug on Jackson’s records on Wednesday (March 6). According to Leon Wratt, the content director of New Zealand’s MediaWorks, the decision was made at the discretion of listeners. “We aren’t deciding whether Michael Jackson is guilty of pedophilia or not,” Wratt told the New York Times. “We’re just merely trying to make sure that our radio stations are going to play the music that people want to hear.”
On Feb. 22, Jackson’s estate filed a $100 million lawsuit against HBO claiming it violated a contract made with the singer before his death in 2009. The network reportedly signed a non-disparagement agreement in 1992 which states “HBO shall not make any disparaging remarks concerning [Jackson] or any of his representatives, agents, or business practices or do any act that may harm or disparage or cause to lower in esteem the reputation or public image of [Jackson].” The deal was made in exchange for permission to air a special of his “Michael Jackson Live in Concert in Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour.”
Jackson’s estate claims HBO violated the contract by airing the disturbing claims made by Jackson’s accusers in the documentary. The Estate also pointed out that Jackson’s accusers both filed previous lawsuits which were dismissed in court and called into question their credibility.

Jackson’s family have also spoken out and denied the allegations made about their beloved brother and uncle.
 
Credit: Revolt TV

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close